Mont-Saint-Michel Abbey: Interior view of "monk's walk"



Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the fa├žade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in the 19th century. It was severely burnt in 1856, but thorough restorations were not undertaken until 1874. The architects included Edouard Jules Corroyer, Victor Petitgrand, Paul Emile Antoine Gout (1852-1923) and Y. M. Froidevaux. The buildings of Mont-Saint-Michel are constructed of granite, but there is some limestone in the cloister.


Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Mont-St-Michel

  • G. Massiot & cie

  • Monasteries

  • Abbeys

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Romanesque

  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • Mont-Saint-Michel le, Basse-Normandie, France: approximately one kilometer off the north coast, at the mouth of the Couesnon River near Avranches

  • Mont-Saint-Michel

  • +48.636028-1.511393

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License


Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France


Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.