Kremlin Armoury: Weapons on display in the Armory Museum

Image

Description

The finest Muscovite gunsmiths (the Vyatkin brothers), jewellers (Gavrila Ovdokimov), and painters (Simon Ushakov) used to work here in the 16th century.

The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, the Armoury was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and various household articles of the tsars. The current Armoury building was erected in 1844-1851 by the imperial architect Konstantin Ton. In 1960, the Armoury became the official museum of the Kremlin. Two years later, the Patriarch chambers and the Cathedral of the Twelve Apostles were assigned to the Armoury in order to house the Applied Arts Museum. [Not to be confused with the Arsenal which is a different building.]

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Arms and Master Chamber [Treasury]

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Museums

  • Decorative arts

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Nineteenth century

Place of Creation
  • +55.749514+37.613306

  • Moscow

  • Moscow, Rossiya, Russia: Kremlin, Red Square

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia)

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.