The column and the statue were sculpted in 1584-1585 by Laurent Perroud from Neuchâtel and his son Jacques, the former having passed away before its completion. Laurent Perroud built a number of fountains throughout western Switzerland. In particular he depicted Justice in Neuchâtel, Soleure and Moudon. The fountain in Lausanne features the typical blindfolded young woman bearing a sword and scales. The Pope, the Emperor, the Grand Turk and a magistrate are bowing in submission at her feet. The stack and the column are now copies, created in 1930; the originals are held in the Lausanne History Museum. The splendid spouts date to 1557-1559 and the dodecagonal basin was built in 1726.