Pons Augustus: Overall view, 4 of the 5 arches

Image

Description

A five-arched marble bridge from the Roman period. The bridge features five semicircular arches with an average span length of ca. 8 m. Construction work started during Augustus’ reign and was finished under his successor Tiberius in 20 CE; an inscription thus calls the structure as “given by both emperors”. The bridge was the only crossing of the Marecchia not destroyed by the retreating German army during the Battle of Rimini. The bridge is still open to pedestrian and light vehicular traffic

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Ponte di Tiberio, Rimini

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Bridges

  • Architecture

  • Rivers

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Imperial (Roman)

Place of Creation
  • Rimini

  • Rimini, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

  • +44.063616+12.563884

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.