Roman Theater, Dougga: Overall view, seen from the slope below

Image

Description

Dougga reached the height of its territorial expansion under the Antonines and Severans (AD 138-235), when it covered more than 25 ha; its population seems to have been between 5000 and 10,000. The town profited a great deal from local benefactors; for example, P. Marcius Quadratus had the theatre built between AD 168 and 169. The theatre was built into the hillside at the top of the city slope and could seat over 3000 spectators. The theatre is still used for performances of classic theatre, particularly during the festival of Dougga, and conservation work has been carried out on it.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Roman Theatre, Dougga

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Theaters

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Imperial (Roman)

  • Roman (ancient Italian style)

Place of Creation
  • +36.422222+9.218333

  • Dougga, Bájah, Wiláyat, Tunisia

  • Dougga

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Tunisia

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.