The New Cathedral was, originally, the church of the Jesuit Formation house of Coimbra, established in the city in 1543. In 1772, the bishopric seat was transferred from the old Romanesque Cathedral of the city (now called the Old Cathedral of Coimbra) to the vacant, spacious and more modern Jesuit church. The church architecture was influential in the Portuguese colonial world.
Cathedral, probably New Cathedral of Coimbra, Coimbra, PortugalImage
|Place of Creation|
|Departments and Units|
|Collections Featuring this Image|
|Architectural Lantern Slides of Portugal|