Saint Salvator Cathedral: Interior, nave looking towards organ loft and rood screen, pulpit to the right

Image

Description

The church is known for its Baroque organ, originally built by Jacobus Van Eynde (1717-1719) and rood screen.

A 12th-century vaulted basilica with tall triforia. St. Salvator was restored in the 14th century after a fire, and its radiating chapels with Flamboyant tracery were added from 1482 by Jan van den Poele (fl 1478-1520). Its west tower was begun in the 12th century, but the upper part was completed only in 1846 by Robert Chantrell, in a Romanesque Revival style. The church is known for its Baroque organ, originally built by Jacobus Van Eynde (1717-1719) and rood screen.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Sint-Salvatorskathedraal

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Cathedrals

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Romanesque

  • Flamboyant

  • Romanesque Revival

Place of Creation
  • +51.2055+3.2215

  • Bruges, Flanders, Belgium

  • Bruges

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.