The new Capilla Real at the east end to house the tombs of the Castilian monarchs previously buried there was completed 1575, to designs by Alonso de Covarrubias. It contains the tomb of Fernando III (El Santo) in a rich, silver shrine. The tombs on either side belong to Fernando’s wife, Beatrice of Swabia, and his son, Alfonso the Wise.
Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its completion in the 16th century, it supplanted the Hagia Sophia as the largest cathedral in the world. Construction began in 1402 on the site of a former mosque which had been converted. The dome has collapsed twice and been rebuilt. There are over 80 chapels including a Capilla Real with the tombs of some royals. The Giralda bell tower is a converted minaret and stands 105 m tall. A UNESCO World Heritage Site.