Grand Kremlin Palace: Interior detail, Aleksandrovsky Reception Hall

Image

Description

Aleksandrovsky Hall and Andreyevsky Hall were combined in Soviet times to be used for meetings and conferences of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR; they were lavishly restored in accordance with Thon’s designs in the 1990s.

The Grand Kremlin Palace was formerly the tsar’s Moscow residence. Its construction involved the demolition of the previous Baroque palace on the site, designed by Rastrelli. It has a total area of about 25,000 square meters. It includes the earlier Terem Palace, nine churches from the 14th, 16th, and 17th centuries, the Holy Vestibule, and over 700 rooms. Its five reception halls (Georgievsky, Vladimirsky, Aleksandrovsky, Andreyevsky, and Ekaterinsky) are named for orders of the Russian Empire: the Orders of St. George, Vladimir, Alexander, Andrew, and Catherine.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Bolshoy Kremlyovskiy Dvorets

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Decorative arts

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Nineteenth century

  • Beaux-Arts

Place of Creation
  • +55.75+37.615833

  • Moscow, Rossiya, Russia: Kremlin

  • Moscow

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia)

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.