Magdalen Bridge was designed by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury and built 1772-1790; widened in 1882.
Magdalen College was founded in 1458 by William of Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester. It stands next to the River Cherwell and has within its grounds a deer park and Addison’s Walk. The large, square Magdalen Tower is a famous Oxford landmark, and it is a tradition since the days of Henry VII that the college choir sings from the top of it at 6 a.m. on May Morning. The Great Tower was built between 1492 and 1509 by William Orchard (who also built the Cloister). Magdalen Bridge was designed by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury and built 1772-1790; widened in 1882. The Grove Buildings are the newest, built in the 1990s in a traditional style.