Fountain in courtyard of Saint-Lazare Cathedral, Autun: Overall view
Medieval Autun was important for its pilgrimage cult of St. Lazarus, to whom the 12th-century cathedral is dedicated; its flamboyant 15th-century (ca. 1469) exterior decoration was added by Cardinal Jean II Rolin. The fountain was built in 1543 by Chapter of the Cathedral of St. Lazare to serve pilgrims. It is a rare example of Renaissance style in Autun. It has a tri-lobed base and is topped by the motif of a pelican piercing its chest (symbolic of Christ’s sacrifice).