Turin Cathedral: Overall view, showing campanile, facade of the cathedral and Chapel of the Holy Shroud

Image
Und:ww72b854c2g

Description

Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist (Italian: San Giovanni Battista), it is adjacent to an earlier campanile (1470). It is the only significant Renaissance building in Turin, commissioned by Archbishop Domenico della Rovere from the Tuscan architect Meo da Caprino. The Chapel of the Holy Shroud (Cappella della Sacra Sindone), the current resting place of the Shroud of Turin, was added to the structure in 1668-1694 by Guarini. The chapel connects the apse of the cathedral with the west wing of the Royal Palace.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Cattedrale Metropolitana di San Giovanni Battista

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Cathedrals

  • Architecture

  • Domes

  • Bell towers

  • Chapels

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Seventeenth century

Place of Creation
  • +45.07332+7.685435

  • Turin

  • Turin, Piedmont, Italy

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.