The cathedral is the episcopal see of the Archdiocese of Panama. There was a much older cathedral (1519-1671) founded with the town in 1519. The ruins of this may still be seen in the area known as Panama Viejo. The entire settlement was shifted in 1671 after being besieged by the pirate Henry Morgan. The twin bell towers were once capped with inlaid mother of pearl.
|Place of Creation|
|Departments and Units|
|Collections Featuring this Image|
|Architectural Lantern Slides of Panama|