Votive Church: Overall view, showing undeveloped surroundings

Image

Description

The church was one of the first buildings to be built on the Ringstrasse.

The church and name derive from the attempted assassination of Emperor Franz Joseph in 1853, which he survived. The church was to be a votive offering for the rescue of Franz Joseph and “a monument of patriotism and of devotion of the people to the Imperial House.” The church was one of the first buildings to be built on the Ringstraße. Ferstel won the international competition (1855) for the Votivkirche when he was only 26. It was also the first serious example of neo-Gothic architecture on an international level in Austria and marks a turning-point in the development of Viennese historicism.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Votivkirche

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Churches

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Nineteenth century

  • Gothic Revival

Place of Creation
  • +48.215278+16.358611

  • Vienna

  • Vienna, Wien, Austria

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Austria

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.