Current views show the base has been redone and vegetation removed.
The St. George Fountain was erected in front of Fribourg’s Town Hall (Rathaus or Hôtel de Ville) between 1522 and 1524. It replaced a fountain that had probably supplied water for the Zaehringen Castle, which would explain the choice of the fountain’s figure. The fountain as it stands today has a column surmounted by a sculpture (1524-1525) representing St. George on horseback killing the dragon, the only stone sculpture (in St. Triphon marble from Aigle) made by Hans Geiler. The statue was originally gilded. The twisted column and the composite capital in stone from Neuchâtel were sculpted by Joseph Tschupphauer and regilded by Gottfried Locher (1759-1761).