Cusco Cathedral: Overall view of facade from the plaza



At the heart of Cuzco is the Plaza de Armas, with colonial arcades and four churches situated around it. The cathedral, built on the site of the Inca Palace of Viracocha and completed in the 17th century, exhibits both Renaissance and Baroque elements. It has a solid silver altar and a beautifully carved original wooden altar retable. The original designs for the 1-acre (4,000 m2) large construction were drawn by the Spanish architect and conquistador, Juan Miguel de Veramendi. [Dedicated to Santo Domingo, but not to be confused with the church and convent of the same name.]


Attribute NameValues
  • G. Massiot & cie

  • Cathedrals

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Baroque

  • Spanish Colonial

Place of Creation
  • -13.5163-71.9781

  • Cuzco

  • Cuzco, Cuzco, Peru

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Access Rights Open Access
Content License


Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.


Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Peru