City Hall, Fribourg: View of central square including the St. George fountain

Image

Description

As Fribourg’s territory expanded, the city’s political influence grew, and by 1478 it was made a free imperial city. The town hall (from 1501), on the site of the Zähringen Fortress (destroyed 15th century), is Late Gothic in style. The ground-plan is trapezoidal, and it was originally a granary. [Hans Felder completed it in 1522. It is located within Fribourg’s Old City and today seats the Cantonal Parliament and Court.]

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Hôtel de Ville, Fribourg

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • City halls

  • Plazas

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Late Gothic

Place of Creation
  • +46.805409+7.160819

  • Fribourg, Fribourg, Switzerland

  • Fribourg

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.