Church of the Transfiguration, Mount Tabor: One of the Crusader altars

Image

Description

The Church of the Transfiguration is a Franciscan church located on Mount Tabor in Israel. It is traditionally believed to be the site where the Transfiguration of Christ took place, an event in the Gospels in which Jesus is transfigured upon an unnamed mountain and speaks with Moses and Elijah. The current church, part of a Franciscan monastery complex, was completed in 1924. The architect was Antonio Barluzzi. It was built on the ruins of a Byzantine (4th-6th century) church and a 12th century church of the Crusader Kingdom period. The church contains three grottoes belonging to the Crusader church. They were described by Jonas Korte, a publisher from Eldena, as “three chapels, with a small altar. They are called tabernacles, and they are said to represent the three huts which Peter desired to build, one for his Master (Jesus) the other two for Moses and Elias (Elijah)”.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Altars

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Romanesque Revival

  • Crusader (style)

Place of Creation
  • +32.686243+35.392853

  • Tavor Har

  • Tavor Har (mountain), HaMerkaz, Mehoz, Israel

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Palestine (includes present-day Israel)

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.