On the east side of the Plaza de Armas is the twin-towered La Compañia de Jesus, a Jesuit church built on the Inca site of the Amarucancha (Palace of the Serpents, of the ruler Huayna Cápac). Considered by many to be the finest church in Peru, it is filled with exceptional murals, paintings and carved altars. The church was almost entirely demolished by the earthquake of 1650, rebuilt, and finally finished 18 years later.
Church of the Society of Jesus, Cuzco: DetailImage
|Place of Creation|
|Departments and Units|
|Record Visibility and Access||Public|
|Collections Featuring this Image|
|Architectural Lantern Slides of Peru|