Versailles: Royal Chapel: Overall view, exterior of the Royal Courtyard with the Royal Chapel to the right

Image

Description

The wing of the palace terminates in the Pavillon Gabriel, to the left of the Royal Chapel.

Assisted by Robert de Cotte. The two-storey royal chapel at Versailles, begun in 1699 to plans prepared in 1689, has a Classical order of tall Corinthian columns at the upper level where the King’s gallery, entered from his suite in the château, was placed; these columns support an entablature from which the vault springs, and they lend an air of nobility and lightness to the chapel. Ceiling was painted by Antoine Coypel. Dedicated to Saint Louis, patron saint of the Bourbons, the chapel was consecrated in 1710.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Chapelle Royale

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Chapels

  • Architecture

  • Palaces

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Baroque

Place of Creation
  • Versailles, Île-de-France, France: Attached to the palace

  • Versailles

  • +48.805+2.122222

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.