A group of buildings in Mantua, built between the 14th and the 17th century mainly by the noble family of Gonzaga as their royal residence in the capital of their Duchy. The buildings are connected by corridors and galleries and are enriched by inner courts and wide gardens. The complex includes some 500 rooms and occupies an area of ca. 34,000 m². Although most famous for Mantegna’s frescos in the Camera degli Sposi (Wedding Room), they have many other very significant architectural and painted elements. The Gonzaga family lived in the palace from 1328 to 1707.