This 1380 late-Gothic fountain is one of the best known in Basel and is all that remains of the medieval fish market (Fishmarkt). The water in the basin was used to ensure that the produce was always fresh. The 11 metre central column (a copy) is richly carved and painted and the three main figures are the Virgin Mary with child and scepter, St. Peter with a key and St. John with chalice and book. There are also many angels, some with musical instruments and others with the Basel coat of arms. The fountain was renovated in 1476 by Jakob Sarbach. In 1908, the fountain was moved some metres to the north-west because the square was given a new shape. The original fountain is now in the historical museum in the Barfüsser church (Barfüsserkirche).